You need the right people and the right team in place to make any critical plan work – especially if it produces change for the organization, its customers, key stakeholders and employees.
“Targeted tools, processes and rewards will help you generate and nurture commitment from employees.
Synergy is linking it all together. It’s ensuring teams and units have the right infrastructure and structures to get the job done.
The key to success? Well, there are many but one of the big ones is Clarity. Just like a project execution plan or a strategy execution plan, at the core, we need clarity.
There was no one clear reason that everyone could agree on but what they did agree on was that strategies do fail, often, and that without care, attention and a lot of work, they will continue to do so.
Let’s start to think outside the box and focus on the business.
A solid strategic execution plan starts with these questions. Just taking the time after the initial planning phase, to go through this list, is more than most organizations will do.
Change management and strategy execution.
That’s what I do – help leaders, of all types, get ‘stuff’ done.
The foundation of your strategic plan must start with a detailed, in-depth analysis of your organization. Without it we cannot plan the path to our future state.
Numerous online sources will use the number 60% these days – the share of strategic plans that never get off the ground and of the other 40%, they suggest, at least half were not implemented successfully.
Our critical strategic plans need someone in charge, someone ultimately responsible for the ‘project’ and someone who has the experience dealing with this kind of work in the past.
Good leaders know how to carry strategy through execution to completion. They know how to tie strategy to everything the organization does from the bottom right through to the top. And these leaders know how to create a culture that supports the strategic plan:
Strategic planning used to be the domain of our senior leaders and board of directors. As I said in my previous post on Strategy Execution, this is one of the reasons that many strategic plans collect dust on the shelves. It was never communicated to the organization.
The strategic plan is probably the most important tool that any leader has at their disposal. The strategic plan drives everything within, and a well-run organization should be able to connect everything it does back to that plan.
Personal strategic planning is the key to managing personal change and long term goals.